Big Al's Chicken

An excellent marinade and basting sauce that will amaze you.

Big Al's Chicken Ingredients

  • 1 cup vegetable oil

  • cup apple cider vinegar

  • cup egg substitute

  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder

  • 1 teaspoon ground paprika

  • 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning

  • 1 tablespoon salt

  • 1 teaspoon black pepper

  • 10 skinless chicken thighs

How to Make Big Al's Chicken

  1. In a jar with a lid, combine the vegetable oil, apple cider vinegar, egg substitute, garlic powder, paprika, poultry seasoning, salt, and pepper. Close the lid, and shake to blend. Place chicken in a shallow glass baking dish. Pour about 3/4 of the marinade over it, and reserve the rest for basting. Cover chicken, and refrigerate 8 hours, or overnight.

  2. Preheat grill for high heat.

  3. Lightly oil the grill grate. Place chicken on the grill, and discard marinade from the dish. Cook the chicken for 10 minutes on each side, or until juices run clear. Brush reserved sauce onto chicken just before serving.

Big Al's Chicken Nutritions

  • Calories: 296.6 calories

  • Carbohydrate: 0.7 g

  • Cholesterol: 42.6 mg

  • Fat: 26.9 g

  • Fiber: 0.2 g

  • Protein: 12.5 g

  • SaturatedFat: 4.8 g

  • ServingSize:

  • Sodium: 749 mg

  • Sugar: 0.2 g

  • TransFat:

  • UnsaturatedFat:

Big Al's Chicken Reviews

  • Love this recipe The marinade made the chicken very moist and tender. I didnt have the egg substitute so I did not add any, however the finished results was still wonderful.

  • Al, this recipe is awesome I used a real egg, but that was the only change. To other users, dont leave out the egg - it acts as an emulsifier, so your marinade doesnt separate overnight.

  • Awesome marinade used split chicken breasts.ive had 3 people call and ask me for the recipe cant wait to use it again

  • We loved this chicken with its tangy flavour. Easy and tasty. The one problem, as others noted, was that it was way too salty. Next time I will make it with 1 teaspoon instead of 1 tablespoon of salt. I wish I read the reviews first. I might also try to cut back on the oil as well just to cut the fat and the near fire in the bbq. Otherwise really good.

  • EXCELLENT recipe... the combination of simple spices is very complimentary to chicken, and it keeps the meat moist. Seems like my chicken tends to get dry on the grill, but not this time I marinated for almost 24 hours & it was great.

  • Great recipe I must admit I didnt follow it to the letter though. We were too hungry to wait so I didnt bother to marinate the chicken, instead I cooked it in a 475 degree oven for around 30-40 minutes. I used Sherry Wine vinegar instead of apple cider and didnt use the egg substitute either (Im not sure why you would anyway). I used boneless skinless thighs and they were so tender and tasty. I wish I would have made a bigger batch for leftovers

  • This recipies had a nice flavor and I will make it again, but it was WAAAAY too salty. I actually thought I added too much salt by mistake, but then I looked again and it calls for a tablespoon of salt, I will at least cut that in half if not skip it altogether next time. But my husband and I both agreed that I should try it again, with less salt.

  • I love this recipe. Its my husbands favorite chicken recipe. I do make some changes, however. 1) I always use 1 egg instead of the egg substitute. I believe the egg is absolutely necessary to make the marinade "stick" to the chicken. 2) I use chicken thighs WITH the skin on. When I pan fry these, the skin creates a flavorful crust that is keeps the meat even more most than normal and 3) I agree with the others that 1 TBS of salt is a bit much so I cut it down to 1/2 TBS. This also freezes beautifully. If you can, marinate this overnight. I have made this at varying "marination" times. The flavor is 100% more pleasing when its marinated overnight. Oh, and these freeze beautifully Thank you Al

  • This was the best chicken marinade I have ever eaten My husband and I loved it. The chicken was juicy and had a nice color to it. We will definately be making this again. Michelle & Family

  • This was very good. I didnt use the egg substitute because I didnt have any. We used boneless breasts cut into strips for kebabs on the grill but I think the thighs would be good too. Maybe next time.

  • We really enjoyed this. Found this while looking for a easy recipe using what I had on hand for a last minute BBQ with my young nieces. They loved it Used strips of chicken breast, didnt use egg substitute, only used 1 teaspoon salt - I think the 1 Tablespoon salt might be a typo. Only marinated a few hours cuz thats all I had time for.

  • Family loved it easy to make and tasted great

  • This is a good one So good that when I got home to eat there was NONE left..had to make it again so I can have some This ones a keeper

  • A-MAZ-ZING This tastes JUST LIKE the Bertuccis Tuscan Wings. I even asked a waiter at Bertuccis for their marinade recipe years ago, tried it at home and nope, that was not it. But Big Als Chicken is EXACTLY it and its completely different from what the Bertuccis waiter gave me. Obviously theirs was a closely guarded secret, but no more Big Al got it right. This is a new favorite grilled chicken recipe, and Im going to try it on wings next. Did not change a thing and only marinated it for 2 hours. Cant imagine how fantastic this must be after marinating for 8 hours. Thanks Al

  • I thought this was an excellent recipe for chicken thighs.

  • This was just okay for us. It was juicy and tender, however.

  • This chicken recipe was just perfect. Im glad I read the reviews about 1tsp of salt instead of 1tbsp because it was delicious with 1tsp. I marinaded for about 18 hours then grilled the thighs for about twenty minutes, minding the fire all the time, because it really was flaring up with the oil. I make mustard potato salad, corn on the cob ranch style beans and venison sausage along with the chicken on Easter Sunday and everything was deeeelish

  • This is an awesome marinade. I didnt have any egg substitute so I skipped that part. Otherwise I followed the recipe exactly. I used chicken breasts instead of thighs and marinated overnight. I couldnt believe how moist the chicken was. Ive tried other marinades from this site and while they have good flavor the chicken tends to get dried out. This recipe gives both great flavor and keeps the meat moist while cooking. Thanks for the great recipe Al. Its a winner

  • Delicious recipe Two changes though: I used a teaspoon of salt instead of a tablespoon. Also, the recipe suggests using reserved marinade to flavor the cooked chicken - this is something I wouldnt suggest due to it containing raw eggs.

  • This is an excellent marinade for grilled chicken I use olive oil, an actual beaten egg, and boneless chicken breasts, along with the other ingredients,thrown them in a plastic bag, and marinate overnight, The chicken is so moist and flavorful The cider vinegar gives it a real tang. Thank you for a wonderful recipe

  • Good taste but way too salty for us. If I make again, I would definetly have to cut the salt intake down.

  • Great recipe. I used one egg slightly beaten, and used boneless/skinless breasts. It turned out incredibly juicy and had great flavor

  • This was a VERY mild tasting marinade. I did decrease the salt, couldnt find my garlic powder so I used fresh, and used smoked paprika. It was good on the thighs but just not "bursting" (it could possibly be our taste buds are burnt out, IDK) with flavor. I would use it again when I want something thats not heavily seasoned for when we have company and such. Oh and FYI, this stuff is EXPLOSIVE on the grill. I used an entire spray bottle of water keeping down the flare ups so watch it closely because burnt chicken is NOT good eats.

  • Very good I used 1 tsp of salt, based on other reviews. Doubled the recipe for 10 chicken thighs, but I dont really think I needed to. Nice and juicy, even with 15 minutes extra grilling time (20 minutes didnt seem like enough time, so hubby used a meat thermometer and it took him 15 extra minuted to get chicken to well done stage). Guests enjoyed it

  • I used a real egg, followed exactly otherwise. Made in the oven broiler as the BBQ is snowed under. To be honest the recipe smelled very unappetizing while cooking and even after it was done, but it tasted very good Ill make it again when I can use the BBQ.

  • This was pretty good. I eliminated the egg and next time I will half the poultry seasoning. Very good taste, not vinegary at all. I believe I overcooked the chicken, next time I will be more careful so it will be more moist.

  • Great marinade I used this recipe at increased measurements for ingredients to feed more than 100 people. Everyone commented on how delicious and juicy the chicken was. I used all the ingredients listed plus I added Lea & Perrins worstershire sauce and Johnny Crackers creole seasoning mix as well.

  • Wow is this good i made it with thighs one night then with chicken tenders a few nights later - equally as tender and flavorful. make sure you note though: when you baste at the end with the dressing, youre using a raw egg - hence, i skipped this last step

  • I only had time to marinade for about 3 or 4 hours and it was still tender and delicious. No leftovers

  • I am really, really surprised by the high ratings for this marinade. I used the ingredients list faithfully (which I dont always do - I did use an egg instead of the egg substitute however) and found the resulting dish extraordinarily greasy. Yikes I am not someone who normally minds grease, but this was outrageously greasy because of all of that oil. Otherwise, the flavor was fine - a little bland, but fine. I am going to try this again, but this time only using a 1/4 cup of oil. Hopefully itll be better.I found this recipe, btw, because I am on the low-carb diet, and I do have to say that at least it is low-carb, which is a bonus. Many marinades are stuffed with sugar and honey, and this marinade does not have that, which I appreciated. Hence me being willing to try this again. :)

  • Great recipe works great in smoker apple and pecan wood Its great

  • Very good, I would moisten the chicken a little bit more the day ahead by soaking it in buttermilk.

  • I followed the recipe exactly and marinated the chicken for eight hours. Only difference was I added salt per my familys preference (maybe 1/2 Tbsp.) and broiled the chicken in the oven. The chicken was very tender, but I prefer highly flavorful food and found this chicken very bland. One son liked it a lot, and the rest of the family thought it was average.

  • THANK YOU BIG AL This is a fabulous, tangy marinade. I made the recipe exactly as specified, except I doubled it to accomodate 6 large skinless, boneless breast halves in addition to the thighs, since I was feeding a crowd. I marinated the chicken for a little over 24 hours and it got RAVES after I served it. The marinade does flame on the grill, but anything with oil will do that. It was not a problem. The chicken was super moist, very flavorful and tender. We really liked this chicken, including my 2 and 5 year old sons. Wonderful

  • OMG This was the BEST I did use 1/2 Tbs of salt, and it came out PERFECT The only problem.... we wanted more

  • My one and only piece of advice for this recipe is to make PLENTY for leftovers. We pulled the skin off some legs and made those, too. We also cooked our on a charcoal grill which gave it that nice "smoked" taste. It was DELICIOUS Its the BEST grilled chicken ever Thank you, AL, for the only grilled chicken recipe I will ever use

  • Love the marinade

  • Just ok. I used an egg instead of egg substitute.

  • SO good I used chicken breasts, because its all I had. But I would like to try it with legs also. It has a little of an asian taste, maybe? It was so moist Thanks Big Al.

  • Ive been looking for a marinade that is savory, rather than sweet, so I decided to give this recipe a try. I made 1/4 of the recipe for two boneless skinless chicken breast halves. I used 1 T. of regular beaten egg and 1/4 t. of salt (I think the tablespoon of salt is a typo and perhaps should be 1 t.), but otherwise followed the recipe. All I can say is, we thought this was just ok. We thought the vinegar gave this a bit of an odd flavor. So my search will continue.

  • This was a good marinade. I dont think I let the chicken marinade long enough, though. Will do that next time. It wasnt an overly strong flavor, but everyone commented on how moist the chicken was, which is great, since doing it on the grill can tend to dry it out.

  • When Big Al says, "Grill", take it literally. After marinating, I discovered that the charcoal wasnt good and I couldnt get a fire going. I was forced to broil the chicken, and it just didnt have much flavor.

  • This is a good marinade for chicken. The taste is not too heavy but does come through. We had problems with the grill wanting to flame with this recipe. Might have been because thighs have a little more fat on them. All in all - good dinner.

  • The flavour was awesome, but the oil just burnt and flamed. Unfortunately, being that we live in an apartment and have our bbq on the balcony, this was not a good idea for us. It also meant we couldnt use any as a basting sauce. We will try this again tomorrow when the bbq is outside on the grass. I used only 1 tsp salt and it was so so good. Thanks Al

  • I dont know if I did something wrong but this wasnt very good. I ended up doubling all the ingredients for the marinade ((since it seemed like it wouldnt be enough)) and I was only able to marinate the drumsticks I had for about 8 hours. But the flavor was so tangy. Maybe I am just not a fan of vinegar....or I just wasnt sure what to expect ((I dont ever use it...)) No one really complained about it but they didnt ask me to make it again either.

  • EXCELLENT. We made double the batch for leftovers.

  • Very Good. Added to the family favorite list

  • Made this as is except substituted real egg. Dont think you really need the egg anyway but taste-wise it kept the chicken tender. My husband loved it

  • From the reviews, I expected more from this recipe. Followed the suggestion from other reviewers to reduce the salt, and marinated it overnight. It was very moist, but rather bland. Wont make again.

  • Good recipe. I used the marinade on chicken breasts for a party. I doubled the recipe and marinated for about 36 hours. The chicken was tender and juicy with a good flavor. I think this marinade would make a nice salad dressing as well. For those who are wondering about the flavor, it really is like a mild Italian dressing. I cut down on the salt per other reviewers. I think I added 2 teaspoons (I doubled the recipe, remember), but I added slowly and kept tasting to see when I had enough for my taste.

  • REALLY liked this marinade Good tangy delicious flavor. I did 2 things different from original recipe: 1.)I did follow others in reducing the salt to 1 tsp. 2.)I whisked all but the egg (had not egg substitue product), reserved the said amount, then whisked in 1 egg before pouring over meat. I do feel the egg is necessary to keep from seperating while marinateing. Next time I make this recipe, I reduce vinegar just a bit. I loved the tanginess, but felt the vinegar came out a bit too strong in the meat...just personal preferance. Thanks for the recipe. (Husband prefers this over any soy sauce marinade that I usually use.)

  • Super Moist chicken, if your tired of the dried out chicken you usually take off the grill this is the recipe for you We followed the recipe and would not change a thing. Perfect marinade

  • I would have given this five stars but my husband wasnt too into it so Im putting a family consensus. I followed the recipe using a real egg instead of substitute. I thought it was so delicious and I absolutely loved it - very nice flavor and good, juicy chicken. We are going to make it again on the 4th with chicken breasts - maybe my husband will like it better with white meat. Thanks for a great recipe.

  • I made this chicken and FH loved it. I served it with a pasta salad also on this site. It was great thanks for a fantastic recipe.

  • Very tangy, maybe too much vinegar in the recipe. Other flavors got lost. It was juicy, just not tasty. 0 out of 4 in the family liked this.

  • Chicken was excellent. Will definately make again. I marinaded it for 24 hours.

  • This is the best chicken marinade weve found. It has become a tradition to make it for our childrens birthday party picnics. Our friends and family always look forward to the bbq. We use real eggs in place of the substitute. One whole egg is equivalent to 1/4 cup egg substitute.

  • I love this recipe. I have made it several times and my partner and I loved it every time. Only tried it on chicken thighs and will definitely try breasts the next. I also reduced the salt content, but not by much, and it turned out WONDERFUL Thanks BIG AL

  • Absolutely awesome chicken and I had all the ingredients on hand. This will become a staple recipe for my household. Thanks so much for sharing

  • These were good.. halved the oil and only used 2/3 of the salt bc i was worried about reviewers saying it was too salty.. i wish i would have used the full amount.. but this was still tasty.. didnt have egg substitute so left it out completely.. ty for the recipe UPDATE: took this for a spin again and used this on 4 chicken quarters that i scored.. i added the full amount of salt and the egg.. i think the egg is supposed to emulsify the marinade but i didnt see the big deal about it.. ill leave out the egg from now on.. i also only used a splash of olive oil for the full cup of veggie oil.. we absolutely loved the results.. ty again

  • Very awesome marinade Makes really juicy chicken breasts grilled on the grill.

  • We loved this so much that I made it two days in a row. The first time with boneless-skinless thighs, the next day with boneless-skinless breasts. It tastes better with the thighs, but either is fantastic. I halved the marinade as I was only using 4 pieces of boneless meat each time, therefore I cut the salt to a 1/2 teaspoon. I did not reserve any for basting as I cut out that step. I sprinkled the meat with a dash of cajun seasoning just before cooking on the George Foreman grill. I cooked them one at a time (I have the tiny foreman grill) for 5 minutes each and kept them warm in a 250 degree oven. The other change I made was I had to substitute for poultry seasoning because I didnt have any. I used a dash of nutmeg, a dash of cayenne, and 1/4 tsp each of oregano, rosemary, onion powder and marjoram. In the future, I will leave off my sprinkling of cajun seasoning, because it did make it a little too salty for me. I will probably make this at least once a week from now on.

  • I am just learning how to grill food, and this was my third attempt. Liked the flavor of the chicken, boyfriend really loved it. I marinated over 24 hours.

  • Very good and easy recipe. Youll find you have most/all of these ingredients on hand I did feel it made too much sauce so next time Ill cut down on the sauce ingredients. Very good though and Ill make it again... Gotta love slow cooking

  • This recipe was alright, but not something I would jump at making again

  • Pretty good And it was easy to whip up in the morning and have ready for the grill at night.

  • The chicken breasts were divine; the thighs were even better. Dont leave out the egg, its much better with the egg emulsifier. If you have problems with the oil flaming on your grill, just pat the breasts/thighs with a paper towel before you toss them on the grill.

  • Fantastic My husband said this is possibly the best chicken hes ever had I wasnt sure about the vinegary smell, but once its grilled it creates a great flavor. Yum I didnt have egg substitute so I just blended in an egg. Thank you for an amazing recipe

  • A very good marinade for chicken thighs I made it exactly as directed and marinated it overnight. Yummy

  • My whole family loves this recipe I dont make any changes when I make it, its just right IMO. Delicous with bone in thighs but I also did skewers of boneless breasts for a party and everyone was asking for the recipe. It reminds me of the grilled chicken our local firemen sold by the roadside for fundraisers in the summer when I was a kid. Really delicous

  • Yummy yummy in our tummies i only used 1 teaspoon salt instead of a tablespoon. didnt change anything else. i turned it several times, as chicken will burn on the grill. i marinated about 20 hours....turned out really good. thanks for the great recipe

  • I like a lot more spice...this was kinda bland.

  • I love this recipe So easy to make & delicious I doubled the marinade, and let it set in the refrigerator for about 24 hours, didnt bother saving extra to bast it with. Took it to a BBQ & everyone loved it Next time I think I will add a dash of cayenne pepper for a little heat in the background. Thanks Big Al

  • The BEST marinade Ive ever made. I didnt add the egg due to not having substitute on hand, but after reading the comments I will definitely try it next time. Thank you

  • Wow - we all loved this tangy moist grilled chicked that is created from this wonderful marinade

  • Excellent

  • Followed it to a T. Perfect as is. Delicious

  • Very good flavor Marinated overnight. Thanks for a new way to use up my poultry seasoning

  • LOVE this recipe :)Everytime I make this its a hit everyone eats and extra too .

  • With all the high ratings I was expecting a lot more. This marinade made the chicken moist but we thought it was very bland.

  • Awsome recipe Made it for the first time, turned out great.

  • This is now a staple in my meal planning. This marinade is quick and easy to make and never fails. The only ingredient I dont keep on hand is egg substitute, so I have used one egg and its turned out the same. Ive served this for company and always end up sharing the recipe. This is our favorite chicken marinade. I like it best on thighs, but breasts work well too.

  • Excellent. Give it a try

  • Excellent marinade. I added one freshly minced garlic clove in place of the garlic powder and used it on chicken legs instead. Tasted awesome though the sauce is a little storng. Gonna make it tonight again.

  • Made it the other night, actually forgot to make it so it marinated for 48 hrs. So good

  • A-MAZING. Is a great all-purpose chicken recipe for grilled tenderloins. With this blend of seasonings I can use it in the salad, in any dish, and it has plenty of flavor on its own. A family favorite.

  • Thanks for a great chicken recipe It gave the chicken just enough flavor, wasnt too salty, and came out juicy from the grill. Everyone was raving

  • Super easy, very moist and great tasting. I doubled the recipe since we were having 20 people. Many asked for the recipe.

  • This was so easy to make and tasted great

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.